Skip to main content

Delta Kappa Gamma Collaboration Reflection

Delta Kappa Gamma- International Society for Key Women Educators

I am a member of the Delta Kappa Gamma (DKG). My mother and mother in law have been members for a long time. They were both excited when I became a teacher and could join them. They enjoy the organization because it provides them an outlet for gathering with teacher friends to discuss issues with education. They also like that they can make connections with other members from around the state, such as at the annual Alpha Nu State Convention every June, and at the different events where we have guest speakers to inform us about community happenings.

During this most recent convention, held in Boise, I stayed with my moms at the Holiday Inn Express. I thoroughly enjoyed being away from home for a few days as though I were at a women's retreat far up in the mountains. I enjoyed the comfort of the modern decor, comfortable couches, and clean rooms with the addition of familiar faces.

At the convention, I was met with friendly smiles and inspirational talks from notable individuals.  Our first morning, Boise Mayor Dave Bieter came to welcome us to the city of trees. He said he is partial to educators not just because three of his siblings are teachers, but he understands the importance of educating future generations to be responsible, contributing members of society. Bieter told us, "Teaching is not for the feint of heart, not like I have to tell you,... [you are constantly looking for] ways to keep pushing forward to better your profession." Bieter hit the nail on the wall, as DGK members are exactly trying to keep moving forward to find innovative ways to meet students' needs. I appreciated his sincerity, especially as he acknowledged us with "Thank you for the ways you've approached this organization." I felt honored that Mayor Bieter took time to come and see us. I know that he more than any other politician does understand the hard work we put into our profession. It is also notable that he understands that DKG is a reputable organization with members who will not stop trying to make education better for students

What I love about DKG is that women educators from all years of experience, current and retired, from all grades and contents, can gather together with a united purpose to improve our profession. DKG also sponsors first year teachers, like me a few years ago, and raises funds for local charities, like the Idaho Food Bank's Backpack Program for students. Additionally, we get to participate in continued professional development. At each year's conventions, we have different speakers from various organizations who come and share information. I was able to write up a summary for each speaker and turn it in for one credit. Super easy! Plus I enjoyed listening to the speakers; Dr. Angella Hemingway, the Governor's Director STEM Action Center, revealed the growing lack of women in STEM careers and gave suggestions for how to encourage young girls to be interested in STEM careers.

From the many speakers at the convention, I further believe that collaboration with colleagues is so vital to any profession. As an educator, I know I would not survive without a team of teachers at my side. I enjoy being able to problem solve with my colleagues especially. Plus, my colleagues just kept me sane with their sense of humor and unique perspectives on situations.

The third to last week of school, I had run into a problem with my lessons (I did not have any time to finish the unit). I talked it through with my good friend Rich M. who gave me the idea to show a short story video that related to the theme we were discussing. Then students could just do a quick write comparing the video to the text they had read. This was just one day instead of a week like I usually did after reading the text before writing the final essay. This little mini lesson Rich and I came up with also broke up the routine of reading and writing. We were able to do some discussions that helped to connect the theme to their world. This further provided a smoother transition for the last essay. I was so thankful to Rich for working through this with me.

Now with information I learned from the convention, I was further able to network with other educators about this time of transformation I find myself in. I met Dr. Janet Worthington, who delighted us with a reenactment of Minnie Pearl for one session. She showed me how important it is to remember the influential figures of our past to help us with our present. Minnie Pearl was an entertainer on the Grand Ole Oprey show for fifty years. Her legacy reminds us to use humor with our everyday circumstances. Dr. Worthington talked to me personally about how I can use my writing to help educators. I can write about educational concerns in my blog, I can contact state legislators, I can be part of the initiative to help make Idaho Education more valued in the state house. Dr. Worthington would love to help me find more connections from her own wide network. Even though she is retired, she has currently been teaching part time technical writing classes at BSU and assisting students with their own personal writing. I am excited at the connection I have found in Dr. Worthington.

At the monthly DKG meetings and state convention, I am appreciative of the friends I have made, even though they will always be my mom's friends first. I feel a part of the organization. This next year I will have a role to initiate the new members. I like having an active part in what ever I am doing and this new role will be minimal enough for me to still stay active besides just attending meetings. At the end of a long day at school, I am glad to be able to go see Lynn, Shirley, Crystal, Sharon, Mom... and find some new perspective on an educational related topic. One day we had a police officer visit us to talk about safety on the roads; another day, we had a gal come to share information about a horse therapy business for children with disabilities. All of these visitors have shown me how awesome it is that there are so many avenues for education.

Regardless of how many parent emails I had to send, or how many times I had to remind certain students to stay on task with their work each day, going to DKG is a positive outlet. All of the ladies understand what I am going through. They have welcomed me into their organization with friendly smiles, warm hearts, and genuine concern about how to improve the education system, which are the traits of DKG I value most.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Motivation as a Parent and as a Teacher

Student Motivation as a Parent and as a Teacher By Janelle Stear, June 11, 2018 As a parent, which is best for my child: public school or charter school?  I have two children who just finished grades second and fifth in a local public school. I also have just finished teaching in a high school public school, the same district.  With my own children, I had started reading with them at an early age. They saw me go through my Master's Program and how dedicated I was at being successful myself.  My children are at the top of their classes. My fifth grade daughter recently scored above average on her Reading, Writing, and Science ISATs. She reads at a high school level. She often helps her peers for assignments because she seems to understand the directions quicker. Her teacher told her on her report card to "go and conquer the world." She not only does well on her academics, but my daughter also has many ideas for writing stories, and for ma

Transformation

In January 2018, I set a goal to lose thirty pounds. Now I have set this goal before and met it before. That was 2013 before starting my teaching certification program and Master's in Education. Since 2013, all of the weight that I had lost with pride came back on through my own dependence for food and alcohol to deal with stress. Food and alcohol became my crutch, my go to solution for getting through assignments, tests, lesson plans, and yes, especially my research thesis that ended up being eighty-eight pages with fourteen pages of APA source information. August 2013 to August 2015, I gained probably fifteen pounds. Wait, then I started my first year teaching English 9 and English 10. Of course after all of that work to prepare for this experience, nothing prepared me for how to deal with the immense stress I would put on myself. Now, let me figuratively put this first year in mind for you. Imagine you were in my place. You have to climb a mountain with an ice pack of col